[Twisted-Python] 2.0.0 pre-pre-release

Christopher Armstrong radeex at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 01:38:56 EST 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 18:31:37 +0100, Michal Chruszcz <troll at pld-linux.org> wrote:
> It seems like on Sunday 06 of February 2005 23:41, Christopher Armstrong
> typed:
> > Yeah, I might accept the "backwards compatibility with existing
> > dependencies" argument, but I don't think it's something that's
> > necessary for general use. In a post-split world, deb packages that
> > use Twisted stuff will depend on specific twisted subproject packages.
> > Anyway, I'm not the one doing the deb packages, but there are my two
> > cents.
>
> You must remember that splitting into several packages from one tarball is
> much simpler than doing so using several different .spec files (each for
> one tarball) or bearing with many Sources in one big .spec. Moreover one
> tarball allows packagers to create -doc and -examples packages containing
> such things for whole Twisted.

What are you talking about? I am definitely going to be producing a
sumo tarball. I was talking about *deb* packages up there.

> Personally I am a PLD Linux developer and until now (the one-tarball-distro
> version of Twisted 1.3) there are separate packages for docs, examples, ssl
> and some other, which I actually don't know what are they for and, believe
> me, managing packaging Twisted from one tarball plus splitting different
> parts into separate RPMs is really simpler than managing e.g. ten
> different .spec's. I know that because Xfce is distributed in dozens of
> tarballs, each has its own .spec file and both upgrading and reorganization
> of Xfce is a bit annoying.
> Summarizing, no, I'm not against changes. I'm only trying to insist on
> distributing Twisted also in one "gimme-all" tarball. ;-)

As I've already said in both the split FAQ and on the mailing list
multiple times I'm going to be producing both big sumo tarballs *and*
per-project tarballs. You can package however you want based on these.

--
  Twisted   |  Christopher Armstrong: International Man of Twistery
   Radix    |    -- http://radix.twistedmatrix.com
  \\\V///   |    -- http://twistedmatrix.com
w----v----w-+    -- http://hackingsociety.org/chapters/hash