[Twisted-Python] 2.0.0 pre-pre-release

Michal Chruszcz troll at pld-linux.org
Mon Feb 7 12:31:37 EST 2005

It seems like on Sunday 06 of February 2005 23:41, Christopher Armstrong
typed:
> Yeah, I might accept the "backwards compatibility with existing
> dependencies" argument, but I don't think it's something that's
> necessary for general use. In a post-split world, deb packages that
> use Twisted stuff will depend on specific twisted subproject packages.
> Anyway, I'm not the one doing the deb packages, but there are my two
> cents.

You must remember that splitting into several packages from one tarball is
much simpler than doing so using several different .spec files (each for
one tarball) or bearing with many Sources in one big .spec. Moreover one
tarball allows packagers to create -doc and -examples packages containing
such things for whole Twisted.
Personally I am a PLD Linux developer and until now (the one-tarball-distro
version of Twisted 1.3) there are separate packages for docs, examples, ssl
and some other, which I actually don't know what are they for and, believe
me, managing packaging Twisted from one tarball plus splitting different
parts into separate RPMs is really simpler than managing e.g. ten
different .spec's. I know that because Xfce is distributed in dozens of
tarballs, each has its own .spec file and both upgrading and reorganization
of Xfce is a bit annoying.
Summarizing, no, I'm not against changes. I'm only trying to insist on
distributing Twisted also in one "gimme-all" tarball. ;-)

P.S. Please, write *under* a quotation.
--
Michal Chruszcz -=- Seen at http://1lo.sanok.pl/~troll/gallery.php