[Twisted-Python] 2.0.0 pre-pre-release

Christopher Armstrong radeex at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 06:41:25 EST 2005

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 12:24:44 +0100, Thomas Vander Stichele
<thomas at apestaart.org> wrote:

> - I've tested on Fedora Core 3.  trial gives me one failure and one
> error; relevant output attached.

Yeah, those were known bugs. I didn't wait for the buildbot to go
green before putting out these alphas.

> - The split FAQ led me to believe there would be one Twisted package as
> before; which would contain everything as before.  Core would be in a
> TwistedCore package.  The tarballs on your site seem to have Core in the
> Twisted tarball.  Is that intentional ?

Yeah. "Twisted Core" is just used to disambiguate it from the other
subprojects of Twisted. AIUI, "Twisted" is officially the networking
framework. The tarball that contains everything will just be a
convenience, and it will be called something like TwistedSumo.tar.bz2.
I encourage packagers to name the twisted core package "twisted" and
twisted subproject packages "twisted-foo". A "sumo" package is
unnecessary on all non-barbaric packaging systems; I only think it's
appropriate in tarball and win32 form.

> - I wonder why the naming of tarballs is the way it is.  For example,
> the URL will be .../twisted/web, the import package is twisted.web, why
> is the tarball TwistedWeb-(version).tar.bz2 ?

I don't understand your question. The tarball contains the word
"twisted" and "web", and so do your examples of the words it is
derived from. What is wrong with the way it is named?

> - As a general request on behalf of packagers, it's nice to not have
> anything but digits in version numbers.  I know this is probably a
> contented point of view.

*shrug* none of the past RPM or deb packagers have ever asked me to
change it, and they have successfully made packages.

> I'll report some more when I managed to package it up (or wrest RPM's
> from Jeff's hands) and have been able to use them against some of our
> tests.

Thanks!

--
  Twisted   |  Christopher Armstrong: International Man of Twistery
   Radix    |    -- http://radix.twistedmatrix.com
  \\\V///   |    -- http://twistedmatrix.com
w----v----w-+    -- http://hackingsociety.org/chapters/hash