[Twisted-Python] New user questions

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Sat Feb 5 23:39:22 EST 2005

Firstly, you need to set your real name on your email account.

On Feb 5, 2005, at 8:36 PM, snacktime wrote:
> I have an application that is client/server based using a simple
> custom protocol.  The client sends one line of data, starting with the
> ascii STX and ending with ETX.  The server processes the data and
> returns a response  with the same STX [data] EXT format.
> Communications are done with SSL.  The ability to handle high
> concurrency (200-300 TPS) is the main objective as this is a
> transaction processing environment.   The application also uses
> Berkeley DB through the bsddb3 module as a data store.

This sounds like a good fit for twisted.

> I looked through the sections on writing servers, the application
> framework, and writing plugins.  What approach sounds right for this
> particular application?  Right now I am using mod python with apache,
> which works fine but is a bit of a resource hog and I'd also like to
> get away from having the extra dependency of apache + mod python.

You need to look at the section on writing protocols. The finger
tutorial is a good thing to start with. You can completely ignore the
parts about plugins. As for the application framework, you can pretty
much just copy&paste example code, you probably don't need to get into
the details.

James