[Twisted-Python] Securing a custom protocol

Brian Granger bgranger at scu.edu
Tue Dec 27 12:36:57 EST 2005

Hi,

I have written a custom line based protocol using twisted.  I need to
add authentication and encryption to my protocol and I am wondering
what the best route is.  Here are some options that I see:

1.  Use SSL for encryption and cred for user authentication

2.  Use SSH through conch

As I understand it, both of these approaches can do authentication
and encryption of any protocol.  What are the advantages and
disadvantages or each?  Which is more robust and supported in
twisted?  Are there other approaches in twisted that I am missing?

Some design constraints I have:

1.  I need the protocol to be as fast as possible - low latency and
high throughput.

2.  I need to be able to run the protocol without encryption when
speed is more important than security.

Thanks!

Brian