Python 2.2 Support has been officially dropped (was Re: [Twisted-Python] Python 2.2 Support)

Christopher Armstrong radeex at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 09:17:13 EST 2005

On 12/28/05, Thomas HERVE <therve at free.fr> wrote:
> Quoting Christopher Armstrong <radeex at gmail.com>:
> >
> > Wow man, where have you been? The string module has been mostly
> > obsolete since (I think) 2.0, and the list comps and new style classes
> > were already in Python 2.2
>
> Well I do know that, but what's the reason why I see so many "import
> string" in
> the trunk ? Why I see so many classes that don't subclass object ?

Don't rock the boat. Don't fix what ain't broken. etc. New classes
often subclass object, and new code always uses str methods. I do seem
to remember that there was a big str-method change to Twisted a while
back, for the sake of optimisation. I don't see any similar
improvement to having a big festival for switching everything to
object.

> > I can't remember about optparse; all
> > Twisted code uses twisted.python.usage.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to subclass OptParse ? I have the feeling usage.Options
> does nearly the same things.

I'm pretty sure that debate has been had, although I don't know if it
was on the mailing list. I suggest searching the archives.

--
  Twisted   |  Christopher Armstrong: International Man of Twistery
   Radix    |    -- http://radix.twistedmatrix.com
            |  Release Manager, Twisted Project
  \\\V///   |    -- http://twistedmatrix.com
   |o O|    |