Python 2.2 Support has been officially dropped (was Re: [Twisted-Python] Python 2.2 Support)

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Tue Dec 27 09:14:35 EST 2005

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 14:59:00 +0100, Thomas HERVE <therve at free.fr> wrote:
>Quoting Christopher Armstrong <radeex at gmail.com>:
>>
>>Wow man, where have you been? The string module has been mostly
>>obsolete since (I think) 2.0, and the list comps and new style classes
>>were already in Python 2.2
>
>Well I do know that, but what's the reason why I see so many "import string"
>in
>the trunk ? Why I see so many classes that don't subclass object ?

Patches that remove usage of the string module will surely be
accepted. :)

Patches that introduce object as a base class may not be.  Classic
classes behave differently than new-style classes.  It is not always
possible to replace the former with the latter while maintaining API
compatibility.

>I know it's a lot of work, so I was just asking if it's in the roadmap or
>not.
>>I can't remember about optparse; all
>>Twisted code uses twisted.python.usage.
>
>Wouldn't it be better to subclass OptParse ? I have the feeling
>usage.Options
>does nearly the same things.

Perhaps OptParse should subclass usage.Options.

Seriously.  We looked at switching to optparse a while ago.  t.p.u
is better.  Nothing stops you from using optparse with Twisted,
though.

Jean-Paul