[Twisted-Python] Possibly of interest

Itamar Shtull-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Mon Aug 22 11:44:37 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 13:23 +0100, Michael Sparks wrote:

> Which to me smacks of generators - which IMO can be viewed as just a different
> way of wrapping up the event stack. (Which doesn't entirely surprise me - one
> of their influences listed in para 3 of the introduction was Inktomi's Traffic
> Server - somewhere I worked before the BBC, and came to the same
> conclusions they did. //Wrongly or rightly//, dunno :-)

I think that stackless (or greenlets) are closest to what they are
talking about in the Python domain.

Because of the title of their paper, people who like kernel threads keep
quoting this paper as evidence (e.g. the C10K page), without bothering
to read it and noticing it's not about kernel threads. This is
annoying :)

As a counterargument to their claim one could point to growing need to
deal with multi-CPU machines, something their architecture doesn't
address. Also IIRC the gains in performance they got wouldn't
necessarily show up in something as slow as Python :) But I read that
paper a long time ago so maybe I'm misremembering or they address these
issues.