[Twisted-Python] Engineering Opportunities at Google

Ravi Pindiproli rpindiproli at google.com
Mon Aug 1 19:24:04 EDT 2005

Hello Folks

My name is Ravi Pindiproli and I am a Recruiter for the SRE (Site
Reliability Engineering) Group at Google.  This is the most dynamic,
challenging and fun group at Google.  The SRE group is responsible for our
Google website from start to finish and it is different from the Operations
group.

We are constantly seeking Extraordinary developers and UNIX Administrators
(Linux) experts to join our exciting team and growing organization.   We
have positions open in the USA in Mountain View (CA), Santa Monica (CA), New
York (NY), and Kirkland (WA) as well as Dublin (Ireland) and Zurich
(Switzerland).  I am enclosing job descriptions of two positions.

If any of you feel that either of these positions is something that may be
of interest to you, please send me an email so we can schedule a time for me
to call you to speak with you to discuss more details.

Thanks!

Senior Systems Administrator/Architect, Google.com (SRE)

This position is available in Mountain View, CA, / New York, NY / Kirkland,
WA / Dublin, Ireland / and Zurich, Switzerland.

Are you a detail-oriented systems professional, seasoned Unix jockey,
Internet services architect, database whiz, performance analyst, or software
engineer, at the top of your game?

*	Looking for the next cool problem to solve, in a fast-paced and
engineering-driven environment?

*	Can you write a script or application that performs practically the
entire job you once held earlier in your career?

*	Does your idea of a good time involve taking things apart just to
see how they work? Are you successful putting them back together when you're
done?

*	Can you help achieve increased Availability, Reliability, Uptime,
and Quality? (for our systems and services, naturally)

If you answered "Yes" to more than three of the above questions, you may
have what it takes. Keep reading.

Google.com Engineers are involved in all aspects of running our site. From
design to debug, from architecture to applications, Google.com engineers
spend their time troubleshooting problems in large-scale clustered
application service environments, and focus on making continual improvements
to our services.

Working for Google.com, you will wear many hats: performance analyst,
service architect, system/database administrator, capacity planner, tools
developer, monitoring expert, and technical evangelist, for all components
of Google.com's services.

This position requires a passion for problem solving, deep understanding of
networks, operating systems, multi-tiered Internet services, and the ability
to learn new applications and concepts quickly. Strong scripting skills are
essential.

Requirements:

*	3+ years experience in Unix or Linux Systems Administrator.

*	Experience in a high-volume or critical production service
environment.

*	Strong understanding of networking; understanding of how to isolate,
diagnose, and resolve service delivery components (service delivery
components include servers, networks, and applications); be familiar with
the functionality, operating, and failure modes of key networking devices
(routers, switches, bridges, firewalls, hardware load balancers); be able to
identify networking as the potential cause of a service issue using
server-resident tools to generate this data (tcpdump, ping, traceroute,
etc.); familiarity in interpreting the output of these tools; familiarity
with common network topologies, protocols, and tools; have some notion of
common network security exploits -- and their remedies; understanding of
troubleshooting at the packet level.

*	Skilled in leading projects, especially in deploying live end-user
systems.

*	Proven technical troubleshooting experience.

*	Database administration experience a plus.

*	Programming or debugging of web applications running under Java VM.

*	In-depth knowledge of Linux, networking, and shell scripting.

*	Knowledge of Python programming a plus.

*	Experience with MySQL a plus.

*	Programming and troubleshooting skills in C/C++ and/or Java a plus.

*	Excellent written and verbal communication skills.

*	Ability to handle periodic on-call duty as well as out-of-band
requests.

*	BA/BS in Computer Science or a related technical discipline.

Senior Software Engineer/Unix System & Network Administrator, Google.com
(SRE)

This position is available in Mountain View, CA, / New York, NY / Kirkland,
WA / Dublin, Ireland / and Zurich, Switzerland.

Are you part ace coder, part adrenaline junkie? Do you have a knack for
seeing a problem and immediately discerning the likely solution? Maybe
you've been coding for years, are bored with the old
design-build-review-test-ship-repeat routine, and yearn for some
faster-paced challenges? Or perhaps you're a seasoned software engineer who
is also a genius at jockeying networks and administering UNIX clusters.

We're looking for top-notch thrill seeking, software engineers to join the
Google.com team. Google.com engineers are in the thick of everything
involved with keeping Google running, from code-level troubleshooting of
traffic anomalies to maintenance of our most cutting edge services; from
monitoring and alerts to building new automation infrastructure. We are
aggressively building this elite team of high level engineers in this
mission critical environment. All team members must have strong analytical
and troubleshooting skills, fluency in coding, good communication skills,
and most of all enthusiasm for tackling the complex problems of scale which
are uniquely Google. Google.com engineers tackle challenging, novel
situations every day, and work with just about every other engineering and
operations team in the process.

Qualifications:

*	Strong programming/scripting skills in any of the following: C, C++,
Java, Perl, Python.

*	Senior Level experience with Unix system administration.

*	Strong understanding of networking; understanding of how to isolate,
diagnose, and resolve service delivery components (service delivery
components include servers, networks, and applications); be familiar with
the functionality, operating, and failure modes of key networking devices
(routers, switches, bridges, firewalls, hardware load balancers); be able to
identify networking as the potential cause of a service issue using
server-resident tools to generate this data (tcpdump, ping, traceroute,
etc.); familiarity in interpreting the output of these tools; familiarity
with common network topologies, protocols, and tools; have some notion of
common network security exploits -- and their remedies; understanding of
troubleshooting at the packet level.

*	Strong project management skills, especially in deploying live
end-user systems.

*	In-depth knowledge of Unix (preferably Linux), and shell scripting.

*	Proven technical troubleshooting experience.

*	Excellent analytic ability, strong communication skills, and a
strong sense of urgency.

*	Ability to handle periodic on-call duty as well as out-of-band
requests.

*	6-15+ years experience for Senior SWE position, or 3-8 years
experience for SWE position.

*	BA/BS in CS, or equivalent experience.

Ravi Pindiproli
G O O G L E
Technical Sourcer, SRE
1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy,