[Twisted-Python] twisted robot ...

Darran Edmundson darran.edmundson at anu.edu.au
Thu Apr 21 23:22:50 EDT 2005

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone for the recent help on integration of
twisted with wxPython.  We are going to hold off on using
Bob's new code at the moment in favour of using the release
version of Twisted (easier for the users to install).

At the moment we've got Twisted in the main thread, spawning
a thread to run wx.  It works nicely except we can't figure
out how to communicate with wx (ie., generate wxevents)
from twisted.  (We don't need the converse - it's notification
only.)  I fly out to San Francisco tommorrow morning so
any help would be most appreciated.

So about the robot subject line ... we bought a 50cm RC tank on
Ebay, ripped it down to the chassis and added a platform
for carrying around a 12" Powerbook.  The laptop runs
our twisted server which drives a USB controllable Phidget
(www.phidget.com) to control the tank treads and a servo motor
for camera (iSight) tilt.  We talk to the server via wifi.

The client app (wx GUI is done and working) is what we
are working on at the moment...

Cheers,
Darran.

P.S.  I'll put some photos and video up on my web site
for anyone interested.

--
Darran Edmundson (darran.edmundson at anu.edu.au)
ANU Supercomputer Facility Vizlab