[Twisted-Python] shedding root

Jp Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Wed Apr 6 12:33:49 EDT 2005

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:34:02 +0800, Jeff Pitman <symbiont at berlios.de> wrote:
>On Wednesday 06 April 2005 10:23, James Y Knight wrote:
> > > So although it's almost never useful, let's focus on a
> > > plug-in for the mktap utility.  That's cute.
> >
> > That intro sure is misleading! The rest of the document doesn't
> > mention mktap or plug-ins at all and in fact does document the
> > currently recommended best practices. Pretend that first paragraph
> > didn't exist.
>
> So, should there be a deprecation warning when running mktap too?  I see
> it plenty with *.tml plugin stuff... why not in plain mktap without
> stuff like buildbot, pynfo, et al.  Plus a pointer like "see
> http://twistedmatrix.com/whynottap.html" would be nice.
>
> thanks,

  There's no reason to break existing deployments, or even encourage authors to switch away from their current tap plugins, if tap plugins are satisfying their requirements.  Deprecating mktap would just create a lot of unnecessary work.

  A document explaining the capabilities and shortcomings of tap plugins and comparing these to the other options for deploying a Twisted application is a great idea.

  Jp