[Twisted-Python] UDP File Copy

jarrod roberson jarrod.roberson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 11:14:55 EDT 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 3:35 AM, Anthony Baxter <anthony at interlink.com.au> wrote:
> On Monday 04 April 2005 22:53, Jp Calderone wrote:
> >   Use TCP instead.  UDP might be an optimization to make later (but
> > probably not: I can push 11MB/sec over my LAN with TCP, UDP is not going to
> > do much better).
> In the context of the old 'fsp' transfer program, I think it was Robert Elz
> who made the comment: "Those who do not understand TCP are doomed
> to repeat it".
> There are times when a UDP-based protocol makes sense. File transfer
> almost certainly isn't one of them.

the only time that UDP is really appliciable for file transfer is when
you are doing Multicast AND Reliable Multicast with Foward Error
Correction and other techniques. This is a rare case on the INTERNET
since very few routers still support Multicast.

Intra-net where you are broadcasting updates or patches to a cluster
of machines it makes since, but for peer-to-peer it just doesn't reap
any benefits on the internet proper.

If you don't know what you want, you probably need a nap.