[Twisted-Python] Fwd: [Twisted-commits] r11721 - revert r11685

exarkun at divmod.com exarkun at divmod.com
Sun Sep 19 12:30:31 EDT 2004

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 10:07:57 -0400, Itamar Shtull-Trauring <itamar at itamarst.org> wrote:
>Why is this unacceptable? We depend on pyOpenSSL for TLS support, etc..

  The logistical reasons:

    There is no release of Nevow.

    None of the buildslaves have even an SVN trunk checkout installed, nor have any of them been asked to install one.

    Developers weren't told about this new dependency, so they may not have it installed.  This leads to strangely failing tests, making it difficult to tell if outstanding changes that a developer wants to commit are broken.

  The technical reasons:

    Nevow imports Twisted.  Therefore, Twisted should not import Nevow.

    Twisted is the networking framework and the web server framework.  It is lower level than the application server and the templating system.  The latter should depend on the former, if a dependency exists, not the reverse.  _If_ it is desired for Twisted to gain functionality from a Nevow installed, Nevow must be careful to only import certain things from Twisted.

 I would much prefer if Nevow gained functionality from Twisted and not the reverse, but if twisted.web/nevow developers desire things to work as they do currently in twisted.web2, at least the above issues need to be addressed.  This thread should serve to resolve one of them (hopefully Twisted developers are now aware of the potential dependency ;).

  Jp