[Twisted-Python] Is anyone working on CFReactor?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Sep 7 15:34:37 EDT 2004

On 7-sep-04, at 9:46, Jordan Krushen wrote:

> On 6-Sep-04, at 10:43 PM, vng1 at mac.com wrote:
>
>> Is anyone looking at what's wrong with the CFReactor in Twisted 1.3
>> and OSX?
>>
>> http://www.twistedmatrix.com/users/roundup.twistd/twisted/issue648
>>
>> I vaguely remember seeing a posting about the GIL causing problems,
>> but I can't seem to find that article now.
>
> I think Bob had mentioned recent changes to the GIL as one
> possibility, but I don't know if he's investigated it further.  I know
> he's busy, so if anyone else here can get CFReactor working, that
> would be appreciated -- I currently have one project on hold due to
> this bug.

Looking at the stack-trace it's probably a change to how the GIL is
managed in PyObjC 1.1 (as oposed to earlier versions). Starting from
PyObjC 1.1 we give up the GIL when calling Cocoa code (such as in
objc_NSApplicationMain when calling NSApplicationMain).

I'd be surprised if the code generated from cfsupport.pyx contains
calls to PyGILState_Acquire, which would give interesting events when
runLoopTimerCallBack is called ;)

Ronald

--
X|support bv            http://www.xsupport.nl/
T:  +31 610271479       F:  +31 204416173