[Twisted-Python] Re: Implementing a custom FTP server

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Tue Sep 7 23:12:55 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 07 September 2004 10:03 pm, Jason Stitt wrote:
 > It's not just you :)  I downloaded SFTPGateway, a Twisted program that
 > serves as a secure proxy to a regular FTP server, because I thought I
 > could glean some insights into SFTP from it. But it doesn't use any of
 > Twisted's actual SFTP implementation code, as far as I can tell, and
 > I'm not sure I want to pick apart all the code they wrote from scratch.
 > (Plus, it's for Zope, not standalone...)

Hehe.  As Paul noted, yes, the SFTP Gateway does use his SFTP implementation.
There's a lot of code there, but it's really just the code that implements
the FTP client that the SFTP server uses as the backend (in
sftpgateway.connector).  The FileTransferServer interface was finallized
based substantially on what we did in SFTP Gateway.

I will note that it was written against Twisted 1.1.0, so the APIs on
Twisted's side have changed a bit, but that mostly affects the code in
sftpgateway.application and maybe sftpgateway.authentication.  From what I
recall from a discussion with Paul at PyCon'04, the changes in Twisted really
are an improvement.  I wish I had the time to bring that up to date.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>