[Twisted-Python] PB / XML

Sergio Trejo serj_trejo at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 7 06:19:39 EDT 2004

I read with interest a thread that was discussed over a year ago on the
mailing list which was initiated by Uwe C. Schroeder discussing use of
Perspective Broker to pipe around data (in which PB has some size
restrictions on how much it will vend over the wire between PB Client and PB
Server):

http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2003-May/003986.html

Similar to Uwe, I want to push around some XML data. I don't need SOAP and I
don't need XML-RPC. I just want to push little chunks of XML between PB
Client and PB Server, and I want to do so in a manner that adheres to the
strictness of PB and its data size limits per the thread mentioned above.

What I am curious about is if any twisted developers can recommend a means
for encoding and decoding an XML document before / after sending such
encoded document over the wire via PB? It would be nice to be able to
validate the XML). I have taken notice of twisted.protocols.sux but in
reading the API documents, it doesn't appear as if sux is going to be
applicable to PB usage since sux can not perform *any* external actions
under *any* circumstances" ... plus sux doesn't validate. So, can anyone
recommend a known method for taking XML data  into a generic Python object
which is compatable with PB?

Eventually I want to take the XML data and persist it into an atop data base
but that's later down the pipeline and better left for the divmod list.

Thanks for any feedback / experiences,

Serg