[Twisted-Python] Implementing a custom FTP server

Jason Stitt jason at pengale.com
Mon Sep 6 15:34:39 EDT 2004

On Sep 6, 2004, at 2:15 PM, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 01:02, Jason Stitt wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to implement a custom FTP server (eventually SFTP, but I
>> want to get the basics down.)
>
> Are you aware that:
>
> 1. Twisted's FTP server has in theory support for generic backends?
> (though it is currently being rewritten, so you could help with that).

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Right now, I am subclassing
twisted.protocols.ftp.FTP and selectively overriding methods such as
ftp_LIST, etc. Is there a better way?

And I'd be glad to help with the rewrite if I knew where to start, as
it looks like I will be doing quite a bit of work with it.

> 2. SFTP (SSH's transfer protocol) is very different protocol than FTP.
>
> 3. Twisted also has a SFTP implementation.

I thought it might.

To answer your further questions, I'm not that experienced with
programming the FTP or SFTP protocol (yet...) so I don't know a lot
about the differences. I want to use SFTP eventually for security
reasons but figured that FTP would be simpler to start out with. If
they're that different, perhaps I should start looking into SFTP from
the start.

Thanks,

Jason