[Twisted-Python] IMAP fetchUID speed?

Tommi Virtanen tv at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Oct 27 02:57:07 EDT 2004

Nick Arnett wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out what's happening in an IMAP implementation.
> The server at the moment has a very big backlog -- perhaps 80K
> messages.   I was expecting that if I did this:
>
> d.addCallback(lambda x: self.proto.fetchUID('1:10'))
>
> things would move along quickly... but there's a huge delay somewhere.
> I think it's in that callback, since I've added breakpoints in
> handleuids() and they're not being reached (as they are when I hit a
> smaller mailbox on a different server).

You haven't really given enough information.

Use e.g. ethereal, or suitable prints in the IMAPClient, to see whether
the server replies with the UIDs or not, and whether that happens fast
or slow. If the reply from the server takes a long time, the reason is
in the server. If the server replies almost immediately, but your
callback still doesn't get the UIDs immediately, something very weird is
happening.

My money is on the former -- the server being slow.