[Twisted-Python] twisted run out of file descriptors

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at divmod.com
Tue Oct 26 11:31:21 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 01:35 -0700, Alec Matusis wrote:
> I thought it would be faster with select() rather than poll() - lower load
> on the machine?

Sounds like you might be confused - if someone had told you that
select() is faster than *polling*, that would be accurate - the
terminology is confusing because "polling" means "repeatedly checking
for input in a busy-loop".  In this context, "polling" is actually the
opposite of "calling poll()".

poll() is simply a better version of select().  The only reason it is
not the default reactor is that there are some obscure places where
select() exists and it does not.  I am not sure if this is even relevant
any more, since I don't know if any such place can build recent versions
of Python.