[Twisted-Python] Twisted in Python STDLIB?

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Thu Oct 14 13:28:18 EDT 2004

Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> Were this to happen, I would suggest it be in a different module name,
> "twistedcore" or something, to allow a stable interface to remain in the
> standard library, which would have a hope of being easily
> plug-compatible with future Twisted versions, but would not hamstring
> the ability of the Twisted team to put out new versions.

This seems like a good thing to aim for, say, inclusion in 2.5. I don't
think there's any chance of a significant amount of twisted being
included in the stdlib - for instance, the Failure code absolutely
wouldn't be accepted (it's way nasty).

asyncore is ugly, brittle, and a pain in the arse. A replacement for
it would be most excellent.

Key things to remember about stdlib inclusion (some of these have
already been mentioned, but it doesn't hurt to emphasise them)

   - Backwards compatibility is _much_ stronger for the stdlib.
     At a minimum, you're looking at one release with a
     DeprecationWarning, and a second to rip the code out.
     At 12-18 months per major release, that's 2.5 to 3 years.
   - No-one's going to accept something for the stdlib that
     requires an external package to be useful.
   - No-one's going to accept a new significant lump of code
     unless there's someone (or, even better, more than one
     person) who's going to be happy to maintain it on an
     ongoing basis.

And finally, there's absolutely no chance of any of this
happening for 2.4. I'm cutting beta1 after I get some sleep,
so the window there is completely closed. On the positive
side, there's plenty of time to think about something for
2.5. <wink>

Anthony