[Twisted-Python] Twisted in Python STDLIB?

exarkun at divmod.com exarkun at divmod.com
Mon Oct 11 15:31:16 EDT 2004

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:34:34 -0700, Ed Suominen <general at eepatents.com> wrote:
>I'd like to start a discussion on whether Twisted ought to be a part of
> Python's standard library. I understand some of the developers think it
> should not, but I personally don't like seeing far inferior networking
> code sitting there in stdlib. Inclusion in the stdlib carries an
> implied endorsement, and that endorsement should be going to Twisted,
> in my view.
>
> Has Guido et al. ever expressed any viewpoint on Twisted? It is
> certainly very Pythonic, and though I have only limited Python and OOP
> experience to express this viewpoint, it is the best-written Python
> code I've ever seen. (Now, if only I could say the same for the
> commenting...)

  Guido (and others, I think) have expressed dislike for framework-structured modules in the Python standard library.  Since the majority of Twisted falls into this category, this is a point on which Guido would probably require some convincing.

  Aside from this, inclusion in the standard library imposes even stricter backwards compatibility requirements (rightly so).  Twisted is changing less rapidly than it was at one point, but it is still making backwards incompatible changes and deprecating a lot of old APIs.  There are very fundamental parts of Twisted that just aren't ready to be called stable and set in stone.

  Additionally, the relatively slow Python release process (one major release every 12 - 18 months) would be deadly to Twisted at the current time.  Independent releases could still be undertaken, but I would dread this scenario - look at the email package and how many mistakes are made because software assumes a particular version will be installed.

  So, uh, yea.  I'd love to see a mature, stable Twisted (or more likely Twisted subset) in the standard library.  I think a few parts of Twisted are even almost ready for this to be considered, but aside from some of the things in twisted/python/, much of it still requires work.

  Jp