[Twisted-Python] Reactors

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Wed Nov 17 15:14:52 MST 2004

Okay, so twisted has a bunch of reactors. But, most of them aren't
being tested.

Currently being tested:
Linux: select, poll, gtk, gtk2
OSX: select, cf
Windows: select, win32event

Currently untested platform/reactor combos that ought to work:
Linux: glib2, qt, wx
OSX: kq, qt, wx
Windows:  win32event, gtk, gtk2, glib2, qt, wx

glib2reactor is really gtk2reactor, so, while it might be nice to test,
it probably isn't very important, and the linux reactors test already
takes a long time. However qtreactor really should be tested.

Currently, cfreactor and IOCP reactor both seem to be in a state of
very-brokenness. Itamar tells me wxreactor is also broken, but I have
no knowledge of that. GTK and GTK2 reactors have some failures on BB,
but I don't think they're in very bad shape really. Windows default
reactor also currently has some failures, but I seem to recall it
working right in the recent past (besides not being able to spawn
processes).

So:
   I propose removing cfreactor from OSX bb, removing IOCP from windows
bb, adding win32eventreactor to windows bb, and qtreactor to linux bb.

The reactors that we know are totally broken (As far as I know, the
list is: IOCP, cf, wx) should be marked as such with warnings, and
excluded from the release of twisted 2.0.

James