[Twisted-Python] service takedown (one newbie to other newbies, methinks)

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at divmod.com
Fri May 21 21:50:31 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 20:47, Bill la Forge wrote:

> If I write a generic service, even a MultiService, for use in multiple
> applications (as is my intent), then there is still a possibility that
> some other service, specific to a particular application, or an
> unrelated
> generic service, may fail to initialize. So the need to capture the
> shutdown event remins.

Bill,

I appreciate your questions on these shutdown issues, since I think we
do still have a few semantic issues to nail down regarding startup and
shutdown.  However, I do think it's worth mentioning that you should
never depend too heavily on shutdown code if you are interested in
reliability: servers do crash, and machines do lose power, so a "clean"
shutdown should always be a convenience and not a necessity.

(A more serious issue that we need to address is making sure that you
can _attempt_ to bring up a new service inside an already running
reactor, fail to bring it up, and not interrupt existing,
already-running services or alter their state in some way; or, that you
can bring it up and bring it down with the same results.)