[Twisted-Python] integrating CompStrm//adding background processing

Bill la Forge laforge49 at yahoo.co.in
Mon May 17 09:35:18 EDT 2004

Many thanks! I'll dig into this tomorrow. (I'm in India, so your day
is my night. ;-)

Bill

Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at divmod.com> wrote:
On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 08:08, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-05-16 at 22:43, Bill la Forge wrote:
>
> > As for the timing, I'm counting the number of items I can pass on an
> > async pipe between two virtual processes running in the background of
> > the main thread. Details for running over asyncore are available here:
> > http://compstrm.sourceforge.net/timing.html
>
> That code doesn't run - for starters, there is no variable 'd' in
> WriteMany.cs, endWrite does not appear to take an argument, I think
> readCount() is supposed to be ReadCount() in test(); it also doesn't
> appear to test the twcs module, but rather only the asyncore loop. Can
> you package some easy-to-run tests with your next release?

Well, this was an intriguing performance problem, and one that likely
impacts my work, so I went ahead and fixed the tests. Attached is a
modified copy of twcs.py from the may 16th distribution of compstrm on
sf.net, a twcsperf.py that tests it, and a patch to Twisted that may be
good to consider including. This patch special-cases a 0 argument to
callLater to bypass the incredibly expensive gettimeofday syscall that
we end up making as a result. I _think_ this is safe but I haven't run
the test suite on it yet.