[Twisted-Python] How do I run a twisted server directly

Andrew Bennetts andrew-twisted at puzzling.org
Sat May 15 01:34:12 EDT 2004

On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 01:05:43AM -0400, Alexander May wrote:
[...]
> What does everybody else here use for a development environment/debugger
> when writing twisted or twisted apps?  Any IDE users out there?  I don't
> want to waste more time than I already have just setting up my environment.

I tend to simply use print statements, unit tests and pdb.  My "IDE" is vim
:)

I rarely find stepping through code with a debugger to be useful; I find
having a log file of carefully selected print statements, and ideally
automated unit tests that enable me to easily reproduce the problem without
having to manually set up every time, are best.

My debugging process usually involves a bit of reasoning about what's going
on, and testing hypotheses about causes by trying to trigger certain
behaviours -- or more often by seeing what my selectively placed print
statements do.  I don't find stepping through code with a debugger to be a
very efficient way to do this, because you spend most of your time stepping
over code you aren't interested in.

-Andrew.