[Twisted-Python] How do I run a twisted server directly

Alexander May alex-news at comcast.net
Fri May 14 22:02:45 EDT 2004

I've use pythonwin for a while and I'm giving Komodo try right now.  I'll
try Python.NET soon too.

I cribbed from twistw and did this:

if '__main__' == __name__:
    from twisted.application import app
    import sys

    class ServerOptions(app.ServerOptions):
        optFlags = [['nodaemon','y',  "(for backwards compatability)."]]

    app.startApplication(application, 0)
    app.runReactorWithLogging(ServerOptions(), sys.stdout, sys.stderr)

Which seems to work.  I can start my application from the debugger and hit
breakpoints, etc.

Presumably I've committed all sort of horrors writing this code.  Please
feel free to enlighten me to the error of my ways.  Also, I'm curious what
is the function of the following line of code (marked with a *) is which I
saw in twistw:

def runApp(config):
    passphrase = app.getPassphrase(config['encrypted'])
    app.installReactor(config['reactor'])
    application = app.getApplication(config, passphrase)
    oldstdout = sys.stdout
    oldstderr = sys.stderr
    startLogging(config['logfile'])
    app.initialLog()
    os.chdir(config['rundir'])
    service.IService(application).privilegedStartService()
    app.startApplication(application, not config['no_save'])
*   app.startApplication(internet.TimerService(0.1, lambda:None), 0)
    app.runReactorWithLogging(config, oldstdout, oldstderr)
    app.reportProfile(config['report-profile'],
                      service.IProcess(application).processName)
    log.msg("Server Shut Down.")

*    do nothing frequently?