[Twisted-Python] When do calls to transport.write() block ?

Stefan Behnel behnel_ml at gkec.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue May 11 11:12:32 EDT 2004

Hi everyone!

I have looked through quite a bit of Twisted's code by now, but I just can't manage to figure out how those transport.write()s work. The servers I looked through always come back to this without putting any special treatment into it.

My question is:

If a server starts sending as fast as it can, what will happen to the output queue? Will Twisted just eat up all memory with buffers? Will it start blocking? Will it open up a thread? What will it do?

Since this really is an important question, I'm sort of worried that it's not a big issue in the documentation...

Thanks for any hints,
Stefan