Dependency mgmt (was Re: [Twisted-Python] New components questions)

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Mon May 10 10:45:35 EDT 2004

Christopher Armstrong wrote:

> Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
>
>> 2. How do we package zope.interface package? We could:
>>
>>   a. include copy of code, as e.g. twisted.interface, and have it
>>      replace itself with zope.interface if that exists. This opens
>>      us to possible _xmlplus style horribleness.
>>   b. install zope.interface in our setup.py if it doesn't exist.
>>   c. tell people to install it themselves.
>

> Definitely B or C... probably B, unless distutils grows automatic
> dependency downloading/management. :-P

FWIW Fred Drake (PythonLabs/ZC) is working on zpkg: a packaging and
dependency management tool, integrated with distutils.  I believe the
intent is to propose this as a Python tool eventually (presumably with a
less "z..."-like name?).  I know the immediate intent is to allow
various different distributions of the Zope 3 code (including perhaps
just the interface package for you all) to be distributed.

That description doesn't give it much justice, but this should begin to:

http://zope.org/Members/fdrake/zpkgtools/

I believe Fred is still actively seeking feedback, and requests feedback
and questions on zope3-dev at zope.org.

Gary