[Twisted-Python] New components questions

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at divmod.com
Fri May 7 22:44:05 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 19:04, Christopher Armstrong wrote:
> Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:

> > I have full backwards compat already, though I'd encourage people to use
> > zope's code directly instead of the compat layer. Question is if this
> > specific backwards compat feature can be dropped (this will allow
> > Componentized to work with straight-off zope.interface correctly, right
> > now it only works via backwards-compat code). That is, I am asking if
> > persist=False can be dropped for Componentized.
> I think so.

Yeah. agreed.  Just make sure that the _adapter_ can still say that it
doesn't want to be persistent; code that really, really seriously wants
to remove a persistent adapter after it's created one can do just that;
componentized.unsetComponent.

Is it possible that we can move to a new-style Componentized somewhere
else?  There are a lot of slightly-incompatible changes I'd like to
make, most especially to slotlessly subclass dict, so that the unweildy
names like 'setComponent' and 'unsetComponent' become 'x[IY] = y' and
'del x[IY]', and to save space on what should be as lightweight an
object as possible...

> Hmm. How about using their registry if it's available?

I do like this idea.  How do we determine if it's available though?  It
seems like there could be a lot of edge cases.

Thank you, Itamar, for doing all this work.