[Twisted-Python] tracking spawned jobs in a twisted application (code review request)

Schneider, Michael michael.l.schneider at ugsplm.com
Mon Mar 1 11:28:26 EST 2004

Hello All,

I have been pushing some code around.

My problem is that I need to execute OS command line
jobs with twisted.

I started by morphing the twisted tutorial app into a
job runner.

My first path (It was wrong!!) was to morph the database connection
pool to a compute pool using popen2.

This group, suggested that I use reactor.spawn instead of popen2 .

Attached is the resulting code.

Basic Approach for Command protocol.processProtocol:

1) crate a JobPool Object to manage list of running jobs
2) Create Job Runner Object to wrap individual process info,
   and capture process output.
   (start time, stop time ...)
3) Create CmdProcProtcol  to manage interaction with the reactor

I morphed the twisted application: (Coded in comment section below)
	1) Create JobPoolService
	2) Create JobRunnerProtocol
	3) Create XmlRpc Job Runner Interface that dispatches to job runner service.

My questions are:
	- Is the the twisted way?
      - What are some alternative approaches?
	- Is there a better way?

Thank you very much,
Mike

Michael Schneider
Senior Software Engineering Consultant
UGS PLM Solutions - an EDS Company

"The Greatest Performance Improvement Is the transitioning from a non-working state to the working state"