[Twisted-Python] Re: Local IP and factory shutdown

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Thu Jun 24 15:42:47 EDT 2004

Anthony Baxter <anthony at interlink.com.au> writes:

> On windows, I've seen as bad as 100ms per timer. When you're trying
> to send one packet every 20ms, this is less than good.

Well, as I said, our application was a GUI with networking in support
of its GUI functionality, so its primarily triggering network
operations in response to GUI actions, and doesn't have a heavy
network load running simultaneously.  So it does depend on your
application.

Note also that if you do have a heavier network load, I'd expect that
a combination of including reactor iteration in an idle event handler,
as well as boosting the timeout slightly in the iterate() call that
runs on each timer would go a long way to covering you.  Either that
or as noted elsewhere, run the wx message loop in a separate thread
(in the 2.5.x series, its easier to control the GUI thread since it's
where the App object is instantiated and not where the wxPython module
is imported).

I'll be happy to replace this method with something like wxreactor
once the latter (or equivalent) is stable.  But for the time being,
the timer approach has proven sufficient to our needs.

-- David