[Twisted-Python] "local" semantics soughtin twisted.protocols.smtp.sendmail

Sergio Trejo serj_trejo at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 27 17:22:38 EDT 2004

JP,

Glad that I was able to help out. Any guess as to what the original author
meant by "local"? By using \n to delimit new lines, isn't that essentially
saying the same thing as the oringal author?

Perhaps of interest, the way I arrived at this nuance in the documentation
is that a project I'm working on requires a node running an SMTP server to
receive mail and then parse the contents of each mail message I'm sending
with my Twisted application. Each line in the body of a mail message I'm
sending contains API key, value pairs that are parsed by software on the
node. I originally used the built-in Python smtplib.server.sendmail()
method, and in order for it to work with the parsing software on the remote
node, I had to end each line with a carriage return and a line feed as in:

key=value\r\n
key2=value2\r\n

However, what I found different is that the node's parsing software didn't
like it when I'd send mail as in the above example (with carriage return and
line feed) via the Twisted SMTP module equivalent. To remedy this, I just
had to remove the carriage returns, so its no big deal. But I am still
curious as to why Python's sendmail eats the /r/n and why not with the
Twisted equivalent. Perhaps just a silly nit pick but perhaps there is a
deeper logical reasoning to this (I.e., could Twisted be making an
improvement on the Python smtplib)?

Thanks for any further insight.

-Serg