[Twisted-Python] can't get twisted to install on SunOS...

Ed Hartnett ed at unidata.ucar.edu
Thu Jan 15 10:02:27 EST 2004

Howdy all!

I am using twisted as part of BuildBot, to automatically test my
software on various platforms.

One problem I am having on a couple of Suns is that twisted won't
install. I have python 2.2.3 installed as you can see from the

gilda.unidata.ucar.edu% python
Python 2.2.3 (#1, Jan 13 2004, 13:54:46) [C] on sunos5

bash-2.03# pwd
bash-2.03# python setup.py install
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 43, in ?
    from twisted import copyright
  File "twisted/__init__.py", line 23, in ?
    from python import compat
  File "twisted/python/compat.py", line 27, in ?
    import sys, types, socket, struct, __builtin__, exceptions
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/socket.py", line 41, in ?
    from _socket import *
ImportError: No module named _socket

What's the deal here? Any suggestions for getting Twisted working on
these suns?

I've had trouble before because of the weird directories that sun
uses, but this seems to be a problem within python.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Ed Hartnett