[Twisted-Python] Newbie Question about PB and Firewalls

Patrick Gilmartin reapnow at excite.com
Thu Jan 8 18:14:07 EST 2004

I have been reviewing Twisted site and documentation fairly extensive for the past couple of months.

I have just downloaded it to start working with it, but before I get started there are some answers I seek that will really help in my overall plans.

>From all the reading I have done, it looks like PB would be the optimal protocol for me to use.  I understand where I have decision making power at both ends of the line, I can modify the Firewalls settings to accommodate the port(s).

But I know I will have situations where the client side will be behind a firewall where I do manage the decision making process.  One of the reasons why XML-RPC and SOAP are broadly popular choices is that they are over HTTP.

Given the above situation about Firewall settings where I have no control, is my assumption correct that the PB protocol is not an option for me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Patrick