[Twisted-Python] First demo of Twisted Enterprise HOWTO. Twisted RDBMS support.

marjan cinober marjancinober at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 3 13:18:44 EST 2004

I´ve been trying to start twisted RDBMS by following howto.
After a couple of hours it's finaly working. I came up to this...

It's maybe worth updating howto with working examples to save some time. I
know that missing lines are completly obvious to most of experienced users
but I was hopeing howto will make me run some demo tests immediately, even
thow I'm just a dumb beginner.

#!/usr/bin/python
# EnterpriseDemo.py
"""First demo of Twisted Enterprise HOWTO. Twisted RDBMS support."""

from twisted.python import log
from twisted.internet import reactor
from twisted.enterprise import adbapi

# use this line for postgresql test
dbpool = adbapi.ConnectionPool("pyPgSQL.PgSQL", database='mydb')

# equivalent of cursor.execute(statement), return cursor.fetchall():
def getAge(user):
    return dbpool.runQuery( """SELECT age FROM users
        WHERE name = '%s'""" % user)

def printResult(l):
    if l:
        print l[0][0], "years old"
    else:
        print "No such user"
    reactor.stop()

getAge("joe").addCallback(printResult).addErrback( log.err)

reactor.run()

############### Setup on Debian Testing
## su
## su - postgres
## createuser -d -a _MyUserName_
## exit
## su - _MyUserName_
## createdb -U _MyUserName_ mydb "Demo Database mydb"
## psql mydb
##
## drop table users;
## CREATE TABLE users (
##   name varchar(64),
##   age int
## );
##
## insert into users values( 'joe', 35);
## insert into users values( 'jonas', 25);
## insert into users values( 'josefa', 16);
## ### QUICK TEST ###
## select * from users;
## SELECT age FROM users WHERE name = 'joe';