[Twisted-Python] Components

Stephen Waterbury golux at comcast.net
Fri Feb 27 18:53:32 EST 2004

Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 09:26, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>
>>What is Twisted as a whole really for?  ;)
>

> Networking applications. That is, programs that involve communicating
> with other programs over a network, typically TCP/IP. Whereas
> "enterprise" is to me anyway a meaningless word in this context. What is
> the definition of an "enterprise application"?

I submit that the term "enterprise" has been over-buzzed to
the point of near-meaninglessness, so it's pretty useless
except in marketing literature, where meaninglessness is
a useful quality.  :)

That said, to me an "enterprise application" is any application
that is specifically designed to interoperate with, and/or
enable interoperability of, other software that is used in the
processes of a "business" (in the most general sense).

I think that's about as specific as you can get.  Like I say,
*almost* meaningless, in that it could apply to almost anything,
given enough "spin".  ;)

- Steve