[Twisted-Python] Components

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Feb 26 19:47:19 EST 2004

At 07:34 PM 2/26/04 -0500, Christopher Armstrong wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>Stop trying to understand it and just use it.  ;)  Seriously, though, I
>>think that Twisted's Interface/Adapter How-To is the kind of
>>documentation I *should* have written for PyProtocols.  The PyProtocols
>>docs were biased towards proving that its framework is consistent and
>>useful for all sorts of tricky edge cases and advanced interface usages,
>>instead of just saying, "here, this is what you can do".  In particular,
>>I wanted to show Jim Fulton that adaptation is more fundamental than
>>interface implementation, because you can represent the latter as a
>>special case of the former.  (i.e., the NO_ADAPTER_NEEDED adapter.)
>>So, as you can see right there, writing docs with Jim Fulton in mind as
>>the intended audience is where I made my big mistake.  :)
>
>Hmm, yeah, I think it would be helpful to have a document that mixes 1)
>explanation of interfaces/adaptors and why you need them and 2) basic
>introduction to PyProtocols to do what is outlined in #1. This is
>basically what the Twisted components howto is, but the Twisted components
>howto is pretty crappy, IMO :-) There's a lot of room for improvement in
>it even in that limited scope.

Yeah, my problem is that I don't usually write stuff to solve simple
problems, because if it was a simple problem, somebody else would probably
have already written something to solve it, and I could just download their
implementation and be done with it.  :)

So, when I write something I'm almost invariably thinking about *hard*
problems, and that tends to carry over into my documentation.  I'm finding
that it's much better to get other people to draft documentation of my
stuff, and then edit it for correctness or to show better ways to get the
job done, because those other people usually have far more modest goals
than I do, and will therefore use simpler examples.  For example, R.D.
Murrary wrote a beautiful "Hello World"-driven tutorial for PEAK (at
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/IntroToPeak/ ) that I could never
have written myself because it wouldn't have occurred to me to layer the
examples according to complexity of the problem, rather than complexity of
the solution.  :)  Contrast IntroToPeak with the PyProtocols docs: the
former builds up solutions to bigger and bigger problems, while completely
bypassing any discussion of PEAK fundamentals.  Conversely, the PyProtocols
doc builds up from tiny little pieces and assembles them into a bigger and
bigger framework.  That type of documentation is more useful for people
developing and extending the framework itself, than for people who want to
use it.  So, PyProtocols really needs another R.D. Murray to come along and
explain how to do "Hello World" in PyProtocols.  :)