[Twisted-Python] web messenger with ICQ and MSN support

Nicolás Echániz nico at rakar.com
Sat Feb 14 05:27:28 EST 2004

Hi everybody,

This is my first message to the list so I'll briefly introduce myself.
I'm Nicolás Echániz, from Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I've been programing python for 4 or 5 years now and one of my projects is
this instant messenger (www.EcMess.com), which is a web based messenger.
It's based on Sam Rushing's Medusa framework, runs on a Linux server and uses
MySQL for data storage. It works really nice.

The fact is that I'd like to add ICQ and MSN support (it's a much requested
feature) and I've been thinking that the best way might be to rewrite my
server using Twisted as a replacement framework for Medusa.
Now, I've been looking at the notes on 1.1.1 release and found that MSNP 8 is
the supported protocol at this time, but as far as I know, clients using MSNP
8 can't communicate with the MSN network since protocol 9 was released.

So, my question is: Are there any plans to support MSNP 9 in the near future?
I know that Gaim has updated it's protocol support to v.9. Do you mantain any
relation with their development team? Or do you at twisted-matrix hack the
protocol on your own without reusing other project's experience?

If I may be of any help in this matter, please let me know. I'm not a C
programmer, but then I don't know if your MSNP implementation is written in C
and wrapped or written in pure Python.
If the latter is true, then I might be able to help.

I thank you all in advance,

Nicolás Echániz
www.EcMess.com