[Twisted-Python] What is the "Twisted" way to kill stuck child process

Schneider, Michael michael.l.schneider at ugsplm.com
Thu Feb 12 11:03:52 EST 2004

Again, I could be taking the wrong approach:

Here is the scenerao:

1) Why the pooling
Each compute node can run 2 processes at the same time (big processes)
The compute node must accept more jobs then it can run, and hold the
waiting tasks in a queue.  (logically similar problem to database
connections, except, compute connections are used instead).

2) why not spawnProcess
The code said that spawnprocess is broken on windows. (I could be
looking
in the wrong place, twisted is a big codebase :-)

I fell back to using popen2 in a thead managed by the "thread pool"

I am always open to refactoring a design.  Windows is my prime platform,
but I also must support the UNIX platforms.

Hope this helps clairify what I am doing (not saying that I am taking
the correct approach with twisted, but I am trying and willing to change
to do it the twisted way :-)

Thank you very much,
Mike

Michael Schneider
Senior Software Engineering Consultant
UGS PLM Solutions - an EDS Company

"The Greatest Performance Improvement Is the transitioning from a
non-working state to the working state"