[Twisted-Python] What is the "Twisted" way to kill stuck child process

Schneider, Michael michael.l.schneider at ugsplm.com
Thu Feb 12 08:57:07 EST 2004

Hello All,

I am making real progress with twisted.  Thank you very much
for the great project.

I am creating a process launcher that runs on SGI, SUN, IBM AIX,
HPUX, and windows 2000 and XP.

I modified the adbapi.py file to pool jobs.  It works great.

Problem:
Sometimes the launched c program will hang. (standard exe file).
I want to launch a process with timeout value.

Ex.  I know that task X usually take 1200 seconds to run, but it
will sometimes hang.  If the exe has not finished running after
1500 seconds, I want to kill the job and notify the caller that
their job timed out.

What are some options for implementing this with twisted.

NOTE: each process is launched in its own thread, so killing the
thread is an option is that is required.

Thanks,
Mike

Michael Schneider
Senior Software Engineering Consultant
UGS PLM Solutions - an EDS Company

"The Greatest Performance Improvement Is the transitioning from a non-working state to the working state