[Twisted-Python] Updating from Ancient Twisted to Current Twisted

Itamar Shtull-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Thu Dec 2 18:21:38 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 11:54 -0700, Bruce Mitchener wrote:

> I've got an app that runs on Twisted 1.0.7rc1 and I'd like to get it
> running on something more current.  Should I be looking at 1.3.0 or is
> the trunk getting close to a 2.0 release?  How stable is the trunk?

Trunk is pretty stable, but you'd have to do a manual copy of some sort
to install, setup.py may no longer work.

> One of the main fixes that I'm interested in is some of the performance
> improvements to the data buffering as a result of some issues that I had
>   last year.

That's 2.0 only, yeah.

> Also, what is the recommended reactor these days for a system that
> receives a good bit of load, both from the external world and from
> within a cluster of Twisted-using systems that communicate over PB? (We
> use Linux.)

Still pollreactor.

> Have there been any major API changes that would break code, especially
> stuff that used PB?  (Does cBanana still work? It apparently isn't
> automatically used any longer...)

Probably not, but best to just try it and run. cBanana may have been
disabled for security reasons, I forget.

> Long ago, I had some woven-using code, but then that was deprecated in
> favor of nevow.  What's the current recommendation in this area?

Ask on the twisted-web list, but it's still nevow.

> I didn't see any obvious place to look for most of this info and the
> changelog isn't really the right level of granularity, so any help would
> be much appreciated.

We certainly haven't added any major incompatible changes intentionally,
but that doesn't guarantee the software will work. Best to try and see.