[Twisted-Python] Twisted O'Reilly Book

Tim Stebbing tim.stebbing at nunatak.com.au
Tue Aug 3 05:29:19 EDT 2004

A Foundation is just that, a -foundation-, for building ontop of. Look
at the Mozilla foundation; they provide a base framework, and support a
multitude of applications built with it. Look at the apache foundation,
they are an edge case, but there we see a group of apps that are built
loosly around a theme, the apache web services.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that a Twisted foundation would
need the capacity to support this sort of community of related projects,
with the twisted framework as the basic premise for all projects.

I personally think its a great idea, I have stuff I'd love to contribute
once finished, which do not make sense in terms of being added to the
twisted framework, in the same way divmod produce associated software,
Im sure alot of you do too.

However I can't see any form of foundation framework (web based) or
people to manage it just appearing as if by magic, as Glyph said noone
has the time anymore.

I think what is being asked for are bounties? If you have something you
would like to see implemented, rather than donate to a slush fund, offer
a bounty to the first person to deliver. Perhaps there could be a bounty
board? ie:

who | what?                                      | how much?
----+--------------------------------------------+-------------
tjs | I'd like to see xml-rpc basic auth support | $300 USD *

There is nothing stopping bounty and foundation ideas from going ahead,
other than time and energy.

I imagine that reading this email, and the ones prior, there will be
about 50+ people nodding their heads in agreement, and then thinking "It
would be great, but I'm not going to take the time to set that all up,
I'm to busy"

I also imagine, if someone was to take the time to think this through,
write up some nevow frontend for a twisted foundation and get it all
going, noone would object to having it hosted under the twisted banner.

so to those of you most vocal on this topic, I suggest you stop
pontificating and get your hacking gloves on  :)

-tjs

* This is not an offer ;)

--
(o_   Timothy Stebbing, Pythonista, Nunatak Systems
//\    03 6226 6259, tim.stebbing at nunatak.com.au