[Twisted-Python] Progress report on splitting packages

Itamar Shtull-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Tue Apr 20 10:35:07 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 10:19, Clark C. Evans wrote:

> I suppose that lockstep has caused release management problems?  How
> is this going to solve the problem?  (ie, are you sure it is a
> problem, and that the solution fixes it?)

We want to allow people to use latest version of Twisted with old
versions of other packages. So if the package you use has a major API
rewrite, you can still use the old version with the latest and coolest
core Twisted.

Lets say we rewrite twisted.web in a non-backwards compatible way and
release it inside Twisted 1.4. If you need a bug fix to
twisted.internet. that's in 1.4 but want to use the old twisted.web,
you're screwed.

> In any case, I think this package management issue needs to be
> addressed no matter what your naming convention is.

Which issue?

> So, it will be in jabber (which I don't need?) till at some
> time it turns out that someone needs it, and then it will
> move somewhere else.

Well, "which I don't need" implies you want xish standalone, so maybe it
should be from the start...

--
Itamar Shtull-Trauring    http://itamarst.org
Looking for a job -- http://itamarst.org/resume.html