[Twisted-Python] Twisted and Zope3 components systems

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Apr 4 23:51:38 EDT 2004

At 06:51 PM 4/4/04 -0400, Christopher Armstrong wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>This is good news for me, because supporting Twisted's interfaces was a
>>big PITA.  Zope X3 interfaces support a much larger subset of PyProtocols
>>functionality, and recent versions of Zope X3 have moved towards better
>>PEP 246 compatibility, as well as "stealing" many good implementation
>>ideas from PyProtocols.
>>But it sounds like I will need to keep supporting the old interfaces for
>>a while, yes?
>
>Well, we're going to replace the implementation of t.p.c with one based on
>zope3's system... so the, uh, interface to the interface system will
>remain the same, but I think it will then be easier to support it. Of
>course, I don't know what problems we'll run in to.. We may need to keep
>some old implementation around for backwards-compatibility + deprecation
>warnings.

Yeah, but you'll be using Zope's 'Interface' in place of the current
'Interface' class, right?  You won't be keeping the current 'Interface'
implementation, right?  (crossing fingers, looking hopeful)  :)

If I understand correctly, the latest Zope X3 'Interface' type supports
calling to adapt, i.e. 'IFoo(bar)' is exactly equivalent to
'adapt(bar,IFoo)'.  So, for interfaces at least, it should be pretty
compatible going forward with what you've already got.