[Twisted-Python] a little pattern prototype ?

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Sep 25 19:40:12 EDT 2003

Timothy Stebbing wrote:

> Facets are combined into single html pages (prisms), which will manage
> placing facet content in divs. A single facet can appear on mny prisms.

Tim,

When I suggested "prism" as a metaphor, it was seriously the first word
that came into my mind, and I intended it as a joke.  However, the
pattern you've described sounds both elegant and accurately described by
this metaphor.  I was laughing the whole time I read it :).

I don't entirely understand what you've done, but I have two quick thoughts:

	- Have you considered using Woven?  Event-broadcasting and updating
facets in real time could be achieved with LivePage.  Also, since your
output is HTML, woven could help with encapsulating the divs separately
while guaranteeing that generation errors on one area of the page will
not affect another.

	- What are your use cases?  e.g. what kind of a site benefits from
using Crystals, and what doesn't?