[Twisted-Python] Re: Telnet Client as Line Receiver?

Mark Evans v6kk1hg02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Oct 28 09:55:25 EST 2003

Christopher Armstrong,

Thanks a million for those answers.  It sounds like we were
thinking along the same lines.  However I did not see an
answer to the subject question:  do you think that a telnet
client should be a subclass of LineReceiver?

I'm still getting my head around the architecture of TM so
forgive the ignorance, but it looks like an outstanding
system.  I've written tons of communications protocols and
apps, this is the sort of stuff I dream about.

As for Python namespaces - yeah, but it's still confusing
to have two files with the same name open in an editor!
The text editor (UltraEdit) doesn't know about Python
namespaces!

As for local echo - there is no user interface here, it's
a console app (daemon actually, I might try it as an NT
service).  So we are talking stdin/stdout sort of thinking.
The reason for the question about local echo is not that
I can't do it one way or another, but I want to do it in
a way that is compatible and elegant in TM.  LineReceiver
may have something to do with that.

Your answers do help, thanks!  If nothing else they confirm
my impressions about the telnet support.  Fortunately my
telnet needs aren't exhaustive, very little of the protocol
is necessary for us.

Mark