[Twisted-Python] Odd behavior in IRC logbot

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Oct 25 10:07:42 EDT 2003

I've been using a slightly modified version of the IRC logging bot example
to log traffic on #peak.  I've noticed, however, that it occasionally seems
to hang, and has to be manually restarted.  As a workaround, I've set up a
cronjob to kill and restart it daily, but that seems like a kludge.

Does anybody know why this happens?  Is there some kind of reconnect
timeout such that it'll give up on reconnecting if the server it's trying
to connect to is down?  I've noticed that the hang behavior seems to be
correlated with global announcements about shutting down the IRC netwrok.