[Twisted-Python] delivering application

Moshe Zadka twisted at zadka.site.co.il
Thu Oct 23 12:27:53 EDT 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Yun Mao <maoy at cis.upenn.edu> wrote:

> Hi, suppose I have a software with GPL license, written in Python and used
> twisted. I want to distribute the software to a couple of people for test,
> and usually they don't have twisted installed. Is it leagal for me to make
> a package with twisted in?

For legal questions, it's best to ask a lawyer. My non-lawyer advice is
"yes", but IANAL.

> hard for me to let them install separately because I slightly modified
> twisted source.

That's bad. It's not a terribly good practice. If you have useful patches,
it's probably better to send them to us so we can integrate them. Better
for us, since we have a better Twisted, and better for you, since you
don't have to maintain and forward-port your changes. In some cases,
you might be fixing something that doesn't need fixing -- and then we'll
be able to show you a better way. Better for us, because we have a better
feeling of what needs more documentation, and better for you, since your
code is better.

> Another concern is that twisted is becoming larger and larger. I actually
> only use very little of them (mainly in twisted.internet and
> twisted.python). Is there an easy way to make a small package? Thanks!

One easy thing to do is to base your distribution on the NoDocs packages.
Much of the size of Twisted is there. I'm not a big fan of "small
distributions" since that requires more support for strange configurations
from the developers. Is <1MB of bzipped sources really that much? If
you want something really deployable, you'll have to include Python
anyway, and that would dwarf the size of Twisted.