[Twisted-Python] Woven subpage handling redirect deferred, Help!?!

Itamar Shtull-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Wed Oct 8 12:09:50 EDT 2003

On 08 Oct 2003 11:01:51 +0200
Syver Enstad <syver at inout.no> wrote:

> Is there an upgrade path for applications that use the old cred
> system? What has to change in an application that usess old cred to
> use the new cred?

Not really. On the other hand I've ported some code and it was quite
easy.

The change is to get rid of perspectives/identities/authorizers/services
are authentication building blocks, since they don't make sense at all.

Instead you have:
1. avatar - business logic for specific user (in PB these are
perspectives, in pop3 these are mailboxes, etc..)
2. realm - stores avatars and perhaps general business logic (kinda like
services in old cred.)
3. credentials - a username/password, public key, something
4. credential checker - where authentication actually happens
5. portal - glues credential checkers and realms together.

So for example in pop3, you create a realm that serves mailbox avatars
based on an avatar id. You wrap this realm in a portal, and add a
credential checker that authenticates username/passwords against
/etc/passwd, and register this portal with the pop3 protocol.

When someone logins, the pop3 protocol creates a credential object,
hands it to the portal, and asks for IMailbox. Portal passes credentials
to credential checker, gets back avatar id, passes avatar id to realm,
gets mailbox, returns it to user.

--
Itamar Shtull-Trauring    http://itamarst.org/
Available for Python & Twisted consulting