[Twisted-Python] GUI Integration

Uwe C. Schroeder uwe at oss4u.com
Sat Nov 22 20:22:25 EST 2003

The wxsupport is broken, no matter which platform. That's why I invented the
timer thing on ASPN. Wxsupport will fail the moment you open a modal dialog
(or use a pulldown menu, which also is a modal). Probably there will never be
a real reactor, well - unless someone with a lot of knowledge of both twisted
and wxpython writes one. The problem is that wx - being platform independent
uses the native event-loop, which behaves differently on windows, gtk or
whatever. So a reactor would have to take care of that. The timer recipe
works nicely though.

UC

On Wednesday 19 November 2003 04:49 am, Thorsten Henninger wrote:
> >Where did you see that wxPython is not supported for windows ? it works
> >perfect with windows ! Btw, you can find on this mailing list some
> > examples about using twisted in wx apps.
>
> this is what happens, if you run the wxdemo on windows 2000:
> C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\henni\Desktop>wxdemo.py
> D:\Python23\lib\fcntl.py:7: DeprecationWarning: the FCNTL module is
> deprecated; please use fcntl
>   DeprecationWarning)
> D:\Python23\lib\site-packages\twisted\internet\wxsupport.py:69:
> UserWarning: Be advised wxsupport is not fully functional on Windows.
>   warnings.warn("Be advised wxsupport is not fully functional on Windows.")
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\henni\Desktop\wxdemo.py", line
> 65, in ?
>     demo()
>   File "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\henni\Desktop\wxdemo.py", line
> 61, in demo
>     reactor.run()
>   File "D:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\twisted\internet\default.py", line
> 121, in run
>     self.startRunning(installSignalHandlers=installSignalHandlers)
>   File "D:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\twisted\internet\default.py", line
> 115, in startRunning
>     self._handleSignals()
>   File "D:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\twisted\internet\default.py", line
> 87, in _handleSignals
>     signal.signal(signal.SIGINT, self.sigInt)
> SystemError: error return without exception set
> 13:45:14: Debug: c:\PROJECTS\wx\src\msw\app.cpp(439):
> 'UnregisterClass(canvas)' failed with error 0x00000584 (diese Klasse hat
> noch ge÷ffnete Fenster.).
>
> Of course, simulating the reactor via a wxTimer (as seen on ASPN) does
> work, but the latest twisted says, wxsupport is not fully supported on
> Windows.
>
> regards,
>
> Thorsten

- --
	UC

- --
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC	2570 Fleetwood Drive
Phone:  +1 650 872 2425		San Bruno, CA 94066
Cell:   +1 650 302 2405		United States
Fax:    +1 650 872 2417